Yay! I’m part of a design team.

I am delighted to announce that I have been selected to become a member of the Sew Crafty Design Team. There is more about it on the Sew Crafty blog but it basically involves me and the rest of the chosen team (a bunch of super talented ladies) sewing some exciting makes with Sew Crafty shop products. So I get lovely things in the mail and an excuse to make stuff, what a result! 



What better welcome to the design team than a gorgeous craft journal. I was gifted the journal for joining the team. Not only is it stylish but also very helpful in planning craft projects to. The journals definitely make great gifts for craft enthusiasts. The Sew Crafty shop have a variety of gorgeous journals to pick from, I picked the pink one and started using it straight away.


Eeep! Getting my first lot of sewing goodies in the post was SO exciting. I managed to contain my excitement momentarily while I took the photo. How cute are those buttons?


I got to work on my first make which was to be a travel writing folder. I had chosen the Aqua Blueberry Park fabric as the cover and the Pink Sevenberry Yarn Dyed cotton for the inside lining and pockets along with the matching threads.


Above is how the finished writing folder looked closed. I made the folder by first working out the size I needed it to be, including seam allowances. I cut the fabrics out (cover side and lining side) to the right size. Then took the lining fabric and sewed pockets onto the right side of the fabric. I sewed the front cover (which had already been backed with heavy weight interfacing) to the lining, right sides together, leaving the bottom part open. I turned the cover the right side out and inserted cardboard into the opening. I then hand sewed the opening closed using invisible ladder stitch


Despite being a lot trickier than anticipated, I am happy with the final result. I had planned on doing a tutorial for the writing folder but there was SO much trial and error that it became difficult to give accurate instructions. If I get a chance I will sit down and work out exactly how I did it with measurements. I would also like to make a bigger writing folder in the future with handles. 


The Sew Crafty craft journal came in very handy in planning my next project. Jotting down your plan and what went right and what didn't really enables you to learn from each project you do.


After quite a tricky first project I decided to go for a simpler project next. Using some gorgeous Dashwood Nature Trail fabric I made some cute fabric baskets to store some craft supplies in.


Here are my finished fabric baskets. I have a couple more exciting projects planned including a mail themed make which I will be sharing a tutorial for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment