Upcycled: How to turn a woman's top into a cushion


I love bright and bold colour home furnishings. I have been on the look out for some bohemian style cushions but haven't been able to find anything I like. I frequently come across women's boho style tunics/tops in my local charity shops though so I thought I would buy some to make my own cushions. I have made a couple so far and this is how I have done it.

Instructions for making a cushion cover out of a top
The instructions below are how to make a cushion cover with an envelope opening at the back.


1) First measure the cushion you want to cover.

2) I made a sewing pattern out of paper using the measurements (I find it easier than drawing straight onto the fabric and as I often use the same size cushions having the pattern saves me measuring up each time). I added an extra 1cm width all round the pattern pieces for the seam allowance. As the cushions I use are square it is the same width and hight. To make a cushion with an envelope back you will need three pieces altogether; the front (square) piece and two back pieces (about two thirds the length of the square front piece) pieces.

3) On the front side of your top draw around the square template and cut it out.

4) Then draw around the other pattern pieces onto the back of your top and cut them out.  
5) Sew a hem along one long side of each of the back pieces (the long sides that will make the envelope opening).

4) Lay the front square piece right (patterned) side up and place one of the back panels right side down along the top edge and sew along the top and side edges. Then lay the last back panel right side onto the bottom edge (the back panels should overlap) and sew along the bottom and sides. Then turn the cover right side out and place your cushion filling inside using the envelope opening. That's it, all finished. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment